Sunday, December 15, 2013

Genetic Traits

Can I just say that genetics was one of my favorite subjects in college.  I love genetics.  I could do punnett  squares till the cows come home.  But how to foster this love in my brilliant kiddo's.  I just don't know.  This week has a lot on Khan academy which I absolutely love.  It's one of the most comprehensive-no strings attached sites I've stumbled on.  Thank you Mr. Khan.  My kids love you and know your voice well.  They could probably pick you out of a crowd just from your voice.

So, back to genetics.  There is a genetic heart defect in my family (assymetrical septal hypertrophy).  There was not a lot known about this condition when I was in college BUT - just from doing simple punnett squares and knowing my ancestry and who showed signs of having this anomaly, I deduced that it was a  dominant trait that ran down the family tree. And I had a 50% chance of having it.  At this time, none of my siblings showed signs( I have 5).  So I estimated then that at least 50% of us should be showing signs.  But this is a difficult condition to pinpoint because most people do not show signs until their 30's, which is when my Mother started having complications.  We were all young bucks.  Fast forward fifteen years and sure enough, three of my Mothers six children have complications from this condition. So, not so great for the family tickers but amazingly fascinating for me.


Monday

Introduction to Heredity

Khan Academy Intro to Heredity

Heredity Worksheet





Tuesday

Punnett Square

Khan Punnett square fun

Furry Family Punnett Game

Dragon Punnett Game





Wednesday

Hardy Weinburg

Khan Academy Hardy Weinburg

Class activity

















Thursday

Sex - Linked Traits

Khan Sexed linked traits

Flipping over sex-linked traits activity






Friday

Genetics 101 Khan

No comments:

Post a Comment